Upcoming Community Life Events
January - February
Monday...funday Nights: Jr. High 5:00 - 6:30 pm, High School 6:30 - 8:00 pm
Parish Mission January 31, February 1,2
Hosted by Fr. Richard Fragomeni, themed "Be the Seed".
Youth Day March 17th Join us for a Morning and afternoon at the Anaheim Convention center for a day with 5 thousand close brothers and sisters in Chirst! An Awsome day filled with games, skits, music, inspirational talks and MASS like you have never seen it.
Ducks vs. Redwings Hockey March 3rd - Anaheim
An evening with the Ice, not to be missed. The Rivalry continues when the Ducks beat the Redwings last year. Sign up and RSVP Cantact Pat with questions. Permission slips are required.
Interfaith Luncheon - January 19th 11:45 am - 1:00 pm
THis is a chance to walk for a cause. feeding the homless of our community with the support of this program by getting sponsored to walk and joining us for a afternoon walk around the Bay.
Mardi Gras - March 6th This is a festive morning of with good times and great food! Details for this event are aviliable in the Parish Bulletin and more to follow.
All of these events can be used as Community Life credit for your Confirmation electives. If your sponsor attends with you then it can be used as a Day of Renewal instead. Confirmation candidates need to remember that they MUST complete 2 community life credits before Christmas.
As Catholics our faith is both of a personal nature and a faith in and of community. As we continue the journey of our faith formation it is important that we become active participants in the community life of the Church. Here at OLQA we strive to have all formation awaken a sense of belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ, the universal Church as well as the parish community. As the young people of today's church your role in the community life of the parish is vital. This is your parish and we are your community. The staff of OLQA work as a team to bring programs that will enrich the personal faith formation of all of our parishioners. Listed below are just some of opportunities that are available to you to be involved in the parish life of our parish community:
* Pastoral Council: We are very excited to announce that the youth of our parish are now represented at the Pastoral Council table. One seat is now appointed for a one year term to a youth in their senior year of high school. This youth will sit on and take an active role in representing the youth and their specific needs at the pastoral council table. The Council meets the second Monday of the month at 7:00 pm in the Parish Center. Parishioners (yes, teenagers are parishioners) are welcome to attend but not participate unless by prior arrangement.
* Stewardship Council: Just like Pastoral Council, our Stewardship Council is also looking to inject the representation of our parish youth into its' works. The stewardship council helps develop programs that will empower our parishioners to live out their baptismal promise of living as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
* Teen Bible Study: Join other teens as we study the many different books of the bible and how their message fits into the daily life of a teenager.
* Grief Support: Grief Support is a support group for those who have lost a loved one, to help them "work through" their grief.
* Retreats: Our parish offers many opportunities to participate in a retreat experience. The youth ministry program offers retreats beginning in Jr. High and continuing through High School. These retreats offer teens the opportunity to step away from the busyness of their lives and spend some quality time with Jesus. Please watch the GEN 1 Website and the bulletin for more information about these opportunities. The parish also offers numerous opportunities for family and individual retreats throughout the year. Please watch the bulletin for more information about these programs.
* Workshops: Various workshops are offered every year by our parish and by the Diocese of Orange. The topics for these workshops encompass many avenues of our faith formation. Do you have an idea for a workshop that you would like to see us offer? Watch the Website and bulletin for more information.
* Youth Ministry offers many opportunities to get involved in our parish life: Watch for our fall Smashing Pumpkins, the Thanksgiving Stone Soup - Newport Beach style, the New Year's Eve Party (the liturgical New Year, that is), the Epiphany Celebration, Mardi Gras, and much much more. Maybe you have some ideas for programs to enhance the community life of our parish.
* Adventure Bible Camp: This is something that every parishioner should experience. To see the faith of our parish children explode in prayer, song and fun is an amazing sight. ABC is held in June of every year and needs hundreds of volunteers to continue its' great success.
* Children's Religious Education: The OLQA religious education program for children 3 years of age through 6th grade has over 500 children yearly. Becoming a classroom aide is a great way to become active in our parish community. For more information on how to become a part of this wonderful process contact Gina Jensen.
* Liturgical Ministries: Becoming a part of the Liturgical Ministries is a way to be a part of the center of our community of faith. There are many opportunities for you to serve our parish community through liturgy:
* Altar Server
* Eucharistic Minister
* Children's Choir
* Parish Choir
* Parish Ensemble
* Hand bell Ensemble
* Could we maybe start a teen choir?
All of these liturgical ministries require training and a commitment to the ministry. These are roles that can and will carry you into adulthood. If you are interested in any of these ministries please contact the youth ministry office and we will put you in touch with the person who can help you prepare to serve the parish in your chosen ministry.
* Child care: Do you love children? Maybe you would like to volunteer for our childcare program. OLQA offers childcare during Mass times and during special events.
* Fish Bake
These are just some of the opportunities that are available to get involved in the parish life of our community. More and more are offered each year. Watch the bulletin and Website for more information about these exciting opportunities. Also your opinion counts - if you have an idea for an event, let us know. We are always open to new ideas.